Thursday 15 December 2016

My Commonest Friend By Joshua Amile Ibrahim


I sat clicking my fingers
Feeling grateful and dammed
Remorseful and shamed.
A stranger took me by the hand 
Walked me through the plain gardens of Tanzania
He picked a healthy rose and a dying rose
My commonest friend
He offered  me both
And he left me to decide.
Am afraid I've never lost anything that is mine
I was careless yet still
The God of the Book stressed emphasis on me
My commonest fears he secured
And I rested my head ever since.
My commonest friend left me to reflect this glory and concern
This love I've unlearned
The power I've downtrodden its prowess.

Minutes ago I was brooding with the 'where' and the 'how'
I woke half the city searching for my spoon
I slept too deep and my head spooled
In the dead of the night I felt naked
My commonest friend took the fur and the sheets
That made me sweat while asleep
He knew what needed to be done and he did.

The last minutes were tensed
I was amazed it could happen to anyone
I became too used to these things
It became unfamiliar to lose something 
To my commonest friend
To me much care you've shown
Because of you my worst days will glow.

Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search